- Most of my working life has been projects based. From coming up with the initial solution to a problem and seeing it through to the final system regardless of whether it is a mechanical, software, web or other solution.
- Initial and ongoing client meetings.
- Managing timescales.
- Managing budgets.
- System installations and commissioning.
- Ongoing support.
- Circuit design mostly digital but some analogue.
- PCB design, I have my own copy of EasyPC but have used others in the past.
- Fault finding.
- Prototype build.
- Prepare for manufacture.
- Ongoing support.
- Embedded software/Firmware design and documentation, mostly C on the Microchip PIC 8 and 16 bit packages and AVR but have ‘dabbled’ with others. Mostly in C but can drop into assembler as required.
- Desktop development, Python, c#, Xojo (plus VB6, vb.net).
- Visual studio, botnet-core
- Mobile device development. iOS and Android using Cordova
- At home with Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Mechanical design and 2D CAD knowledge (AutoCAD, draftsight)
- Pneumatic knowledge, again have used as part of systems design.
- Design & Development
- Application design.
- Operating system re-install.
- Install applications.
- System fault finding and cleanup.
- Install and upgrade hardware.
- System installation and onsite commissioning.
- Customer/Technical support.
- Technical documentation, word, photoshop, CAD etc as required.
- Electrical design, not a favourite but have used as part of overall system design.
- Knowledge of networks.
- The usual everyday applications, Microsoft office, Adobe creative suite.
Current projects include:
- Pre-delivery commissioning and configuration of kiosk counting systems destined for Canada.
- The getWaiter! app and website.
- A low cost, high functionality replacement for an off the shelf PLC unit.
- I am adding these to my blog pages all the time. See here for the blog.
RAKtronics Limited 2013 – Present
New product development
Ipsos Retail Performance (was Synovate Retail Performance) 2011-2013 Retail footfall and customer insights. System development Synovate Retail Performance (was SPSL) 2008-2011 Retail footfall and customer insights.
SPSL 2005-2008 Retail footfall and customer insights.
Image processing software Engineer
Dimaco 2004-2005 Food package inspection systems.
Vision Controls Limited 1992-2004 Industrial vision inspection and control systems.
Design Technologies Limited 1989-1992 Multi-axis machine tool design and manufacture.
Quality Assurance/repair technician
MFI Computer Engineering 1985-1989 Repair and testing of network and retail systems.
Electronics and Telecommunications Apprenticeship
The Royal Aircraft Establishment 1980-1985 Four year electronics and telecommunications apprenticeship.